MA— University of California San Diego, San Diego; Communications, Culture, and Media; concentration on critical art practice.
BA — Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H; African/African-American Studies with Honors; minor sociology, concentration in art and identity performance
After Afropolitan Exhibition –CCADI, New York
You Can't Break Water- Adinkra Cultural Art Studio, Maryland Creative Director
- 2013, UNESCO Women in African History Project : Poet participant in the compilation of an e-learning tool centered on a selection of women figures central to the history of Africa and its diaspora.
- 2010, HBOs: Brave New Voices 2010
- 2010, Kennedy Center Millennium Stage ‘An American Playlist’: Performace sharing the stage with D.C artists Mambo Sauce and Grammy Award-winning artists Black Thought and ?uestlove ofThe Roots
- 2008, HBOs Russell Simmons Presents: Brave New Voices
International Visual Sociology Conference: Sustainability Lillehammer, Norway: Nigerian Vernacular Sustainability, Towards an African Futurist Approach; Round Table Plenary, What is Sustainability
Shaping Change: Remembering Octavia E.Butler Through Archive, Art, and Worldmaking : Speculative Genealogies; Queerness Afrofuturism and Art making with Katherine E Agard
The New School Afrofuturism Conference : Black Speculative Design Pedagogy and the role of Sustainability
UCSD Department of Biomedical Informatics Fall Seminar : Human Centered Design (HCD) and Community Based Participatory Research (CBPR) for Developing an mHealth Tool for Intercultural Health Literacy
Notable Scholarly Works
(Available Upon Request)
2015, Okan Abiku: Towards A Black Futurist Design Pedegogy
2015, Issues of Infrastructure and Design in Contemporary Nigeria
2012, Fela! On Broadway Issues of Black Expression and Misappropriation through Fashion
2012, Dave the Potter, Dave the Pot: A multi modal exploration into the life and epistemological offerings of literate potter and enslaved person Dave the Potter
Community Work and Research
Style House Files, Lagos Fashion Design Week: Researcher and content creator
Somali Community Collaborative Design — UWEAST, City Heights
- Initially funded by the NIH this project explores the role of narrative healing over issues of stress in the Somali diaspora, by looking at important stressors such as intergenerational and intercultural conflict.
Programmer and Educator — Brooklyn Museum Education Department
- Museum educator in charge of creating and executing curriculum relevant art object focused lessons for grades K-12. Adult programmer intern in charge of the planning museum public programming from brainstorm stage until execution.
Fellowship Coordinator — Harambe Nigeria Executive Committee
- Coordinators for HISARD (Harambe Incubator for Sustainable Agricultural and Rural Development) serve as advisors to HISARD agribusiness fellows attending Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-Ife Nigeria. Duties included providing educational materials, coordinating research and workshop field trips.
Awards, Fellowships, Grants
Graduate Studies Enhancement Grant, Social Science Research Council 2015
San Diego Fellowship, University of California San Diego 2014
Reynolds Post-Graduate Fellowship, Dartmouth College 2013
Institute for Recruitment of Teachers – Phillips Academy Summer Intern 2012
Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship, Dartmouth College 2009-2012
Finalist, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship 2012
Third Honors Group, Dartmouth College 2009-2012
Catalyst Lab: UCSD Visual Arts
The Catalyst Lab is an invitation-only workspace under the direction of Lisa Cartwright that supports collaborative projects, interdisciplinary dialog, and creative research at the intersections of art, science, technology, feminism, and experimentation in media documentation strategies.
Race, Technoscience and the Speculative Research Group: UCSD Center for Humanities
This invitation-only reading group includes professors and upper level graduate students from varying departments whose work is interested in the intersection of race, Technoscience, and the speculative. The group is interested in various research methodologies including non-text based modes of research.